Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews. It is a weekly meme to showcase the books we have bought, borrowed, received for review, or were given as a gift. As well, we will tell you a bit about the past week and what to expect in the upcoming week!
It’s been a slow week for me… I got only three books! First, I received an eARC of LOVE ME NEVER by Sara Wolf. Then, in a fit of insanity late Friday night, and after hearing a friend say she was going to possibly get them, I ordered the Kindle version of CORRUPT by Penelope Douglas and a paperback copy of MAYBE SOMEDAY by Colleen Hoover. I figured it was time I read some CoHo, since eeeeeveryone talks about her! (That being said, I’m a liiiiittle worried going in to MAYBE SOMEDAY based on some personal issues I have with cheating…)
Unlike books, I made off with a ton of swag this week. Jamie sent through a bunch of bookmarks and postcards that she had going spare, which I’ll be using to fill in my scrapbook. I also got a whole stack of posters, postcards and a couple of totes from the Howler Party I went to on Monday night at Hodder headquarters in London. (Check out this post for pictures of Pierce Brown, genius author of the RED RISING series!) The legend himself has signed a bunch, so there might be a few goodies up for grabs soon on my blog!
The ever so lovely Dani gifted me a copy of GLASS SWORD by Victoria Aveyard, the sequel to RED QUEEN (a book I immensely enjoyed reading in 2015). It seems the stack of books I need to read keeps growing, but my actual reading slows down every single week. The amount of books I’ve been reading is a sad, very sad, low number.
I also got a package from Abrams and Chronicle Books which brought to me ON THE EDGE OF GONE by Coninne Duyvis and THE STEEP AND THORNY WAY by Cat Winters. I’ve read Corinne’s debut novel OTHERBOUND and was really impressed with it, so I’m hoping I’ll enjoy ON THE EDGE OF GONE just as much, if not more! I have a mad case of insta-cover-love going on for this book, I just LOVE the colors combined and the contrasts: it’s gorgeous. THE STEEP AND THORNY WAY is a RETELLING. Boy, don’t I love retellings! And get this, it’s a retelling of Shakespeare’s Hamlet. Now my little inner-literary-university bug did a little jig upon seeing this book when I opened this package.
I also got some mail from the awesomesauce Jamie. My friends got my back, haha. It was an envelope filled with bookmarks and other spare swag she had. I am going to try and create a swag binder, to showcase all the swag I saved up the 3 years (almost, only a week more and then I’ve been blogging for THREE YEARS already!) I’ve been blogging, and I’m hoping to be able to give this swag a nice place soon.
This week I purchased Chew, Volume 3 by John Layman & Rob Guillory and Ms. Marvel, Volume 1 by G. Willow Wilson & Adrian Alphona at the comic book store, as well as some singles. Society6 also had a sale on art prints so I LOADED UP and bought four: three from Evie Seo’s site and one from Maggie Stiefvater’s because I am THE SCORPIO RACES trash now. I had purchased a set of Jane Austen postcards from Castle on the Hill on Etsy, which arrived; as well, I purchased two Harry Potter bookmarks from Boookmarky on Etsy, which also arrived. You can see those products on my instagram account! My pre-orders of both A GATHERING OF SHADOWS by Victoria Schwab and my US copy of THE GIRL FROM EVERYWHERE by Heidi Heilig arrived this week as well!
I received a copy of ALICE AND THE FLY by James Rice for review. At the time of writing this, I have started and am really enjoying the book so far! I should have it done by the end of the weekend. As well, I received a copy of AND I DARKEN by Kiersten White which I am SUPER EXCITED FOR. It is about my favourite time period, the Ottoman Empire, so I am for sure going to love it.
Emily from Emily Reads Everything sent me an iron-on transfer of the Tower Guard symbol for Elise Kova’s AIR AWAKENS series, which I will be putting on a shirt immediately and wearing all the time. I also received a postcard for THE VENGEFUL HALF by Jaclyn Dolamore, which I am currently reading and enjoying. It is a mix of illustrations and prose, so it is right up my alley. I received a Rhy art card for Victoria Schwab’s A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC. I received a copy of APPRENTICE by Rachel E. Carter and some swag from the author, which you can see here. As well, I won a giveaway hosted by Kelly for some swag for RIDERS by Veronica Rossi. I also won a giveaway for swag for THESE VICIOUS MASKS by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas which I received this week!
Last Week’s Top Stories
Last week we celebrated the release of TEMPER by Beck Nicholas. As well, we posted our BAMF Review of THE LOVE THAT SPLIT THE WORLD by Emily Henry. We also had a Waiting on Wednesday where we discussed how excited we are for the US Release of REBEL OF THE SANDS by Alwyn Hamilton, since we all bought it on UK Release day! Dani and Jamie both met Pierce Brown and swooned and spontaneously combusted in his presence.
Watch For Next Week
Next week we will have a Convince Me To Read post for the FALLING KINGDOMS series by Morgan Rhodes! As well, we help celebrate the release of NORA & KETTLE by Lauren Nicolle Taylor on Monday. Tuesday we tell you about what to look for in March 2016 in the book release and blogosphere worlds in our The Month Ahead: March 2016 post! We also have a Waiting on Wednesday for next month’s BAMF Review read!
Books releasing March 1st, 2016 include:
- INTO THE DIM by Janet B. Taylor – YA Historical Fiction with Time Travel! Marketed as OUTLANDER for YA!
- BURNING GLASS by Kathryn Purdie – YA Fantasy
- A STUDY IN CHARLOTTE by Brittany Cavallaro – YA Contemporary that is a retelling (ish) of SHERLOCK HOLMES
- THE GIRL WHO FELL by Shannon M. Parker – YA Contemporary that Jamie has reviewed
- NEVER STOP FALLING by Ashley Drew – NA Contemporary
- BEYOND THE RED by Ava Jae – YA Science Fiction that Jamie has reviewed
- SNOW JOB by Charles Benoit – YA Contemporary
- THE LAST DAYS OF MAGIC by Mark Tompkins – Adult Fantasy with fae!
- TIMBER CREEK STATION by Ali Lewis – YA Contemporary
- GIRL LAST SEEN by Heather Anastasiu & Anne Greenwood Brown – YA Mystery
- THE LIFEBOAT CLIQUE by Kathy Perkins – YA Contemporary that Jamie really wants to read
- NOWHERE GIRL by Susan Strecker – Adult Mystery that Jamie has reviewed
- IN REAL LIFE by Jessica Love – YA Contemporary that Jamie loved!
- YOU WERE HERE by Cori McCarthy – YA Contemporary
- SCAR GIRL by Len Vlahos – YA Contemporary, sequel to THE SCAR BOYS
- BLACK FIVE by J. Lynn Bailey – YA Fantasy
- GUILE by Constance Cooper – YA Fantasy
- THE GLASS CASTLE by Trisha White Priebe & Jerry Jenkins – MG Fantasy
- EVERY SECOND COUNTS by Sophie McKenzie – YA Thriller, sequel to SPLIT SECOND
- THE LEAVING SEASON by Cat Jordan – YA Contemporary
- THE AWAKENING OF SUNSHINE GIRL by Paige McKenzie & Alyssa B. Sheinmel – YA Horror, sequel to THE HAUNTING OF SUNSHINE GIRL
- ATLANTIS QUEST by Gloria Craw – YA Paranormal, sequel to ATLANTIS RISING
- SEVEN BLACK DIAMONDS by Marissa Meyer – YA Fantasy with fae!
- THE GIRL WHO RACED FAIRYLAND ALL THE WAY HOME by Catherynne M. Valente – MG Fantasy, the last in the FAIRYLAND series
- CHARACTER DRIVEN by David Lubar – YA Contemporary
Wowzers…that’s a lot!